Saturday, June 29, 2013

Unleashing Readers Blog Hop

 
I was so excited to get a tweet from Kellee Moye at Unleashing Readers asking if I would like to participate in their launch week's blog hop!  Of course I would!  I've had fun reading their posts throughout the week - introductions of Kellee and Ricki, navigation tips for their new blog, and today a post of their favorite books in various categories.  Now, it's my turn to share my favorites in those categories!  It's not easy to narrow each choice to only one (I cheated in one category - sorry), but I did the best I could.
 
readaloudbuttonsmall
 
 
 
Wonder 
 
It was a hard decision to decide between Wonder and Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan!  I loved both because they create community, empathy, and strong emotions!  They're both testimonies to the power of friendship and kindness.
 
litcirclesbuttonsmall
 
 
Out of My Mind
 
We read this book during a unit on empathy and realistic fiction, and I met with a group of seven students. We had so much to talk about!  It also happens to be the book for this year's Global Read Aloud.
 
closereadinganalysisbuttonsmall
 
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
 
Kate DiCamillo's books are packed with symbolism, allusions, amazing characters, and figurative language.  They are lyrical and magical.  I think an author study of all her books would make for fabulous close reading! I wrote a blog post for Nerdy Book Club about using Edward Tulane for analysis after I read How To Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster.
 
classroomlibrarybuttonsmall
 
 
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda #1)
 
I just love this book, and so do all my students!  Make sure you have the whole series because your kids will want to read all of them! 
 
 

Favorite Book

 
Harry Potter Boxset (Harry Potter, #1-7)
I know this is kind of cheating, but I have to choose an entire series for this category! If you want to hear my whole rational for why this is my favorite series of all time, read the post I wrote about it:
 
http://hollymueller.blogspot.com/2012/07/happy-birthday-harry-potter.html

I'm going to add one more category. ;-) 

Favorite 2013 Book So Far

Every Day After

I just loved it, and it's my pick so far for the 2014 Newbery!  I know more books will be coming out, and I know there are some other major contenders, but this one stole my heart.
 
Thank you, Kellee and Ricki, for giving me the opportunity to participate in your launch week and blog hop.  Best of luck to you and your new blog, Unleashing Readers!
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Holly,
    Ah! Such great choices. Out of my Mind has been on my to-read list since it came out, and this inspired me to bump it up and get to it. Thanks for sharing. I love your picture of your kids at the top of the page. It made me happy. :)

    Thanks for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate DiCamillo's books really are amazing, aren't they?!? I love your suggestions here! So many good options.

    ~Leslie
    http://thetallytales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your entire list- I love all of those books too!!! [Out of my Mind is still a book that I am so mad that it didn't win any awards!]
    I, too, almost picked Wonder, but Ivan won out for me - great minds :)

    Thank you so much for participating today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wonderful list. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is a very useful book for seeing character development evolve. Love all these books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent list. I love swing many of my favorites scattered throughout these lists. I still need to get to Every Day After. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever Day after keeps coming up. I am going to have to add it to my list.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love love love all of your choices! All such great books!

    Thank you for being part of the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete